Community Based Victim Assistance Program
The Community Based Victim Assistance Program (VAP) specializes in supporting individuals who have experienced violence in relationships, sexualized assault and family violence. The Victim Assistance Program (VAP) supports men, women, and children of all ages. This program is voluntary, confidential, and free.
At SOVAS, we provide Community Based Victim Assistance to the following areas in the South Okanagan: Penticton, Summerland, Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, Cawston, Keremeos, Hedley and Princeton.
VAP can provide the following services:
· Education about domestic violence and sexual assaults
· Safety planning for those choosing to stay or leave the relationship
· Information about reporting incidents to the RCMP
· Accompany/support victims when reporting to the RCMP
· Information about the criminal court proceedings
· Advocacy for victims throughout the criminal court proceedings
· Prepare victims for testifying at court
· Assistance with Victim Impact Statements
· Assistance with Crime Victim Assistance Program applications
· Third Party Reports (anonymous reports to the RCMP)
· Provide referrals to appropriate community agencies
· Emotional support
The Victim Assistance Program support victims whether they choose to stay or leave an abusive relationship.
For more about this program please call SOVAS at 250-493-0800 ext. 203 or 204