About SOVAS | A Journey Beyond Abuse
South Okanagan Victim Assistance Society (SOVAS) provides counselling, court support and information to men, women and children who have experienced abuse.
SOVAS specializes in supporting individuals who have experienced sexual assault, violence in relationships and family violence.
Service area includes the South Okanagan Similkameen region of BC covering Penticton, Summerland, Naramata, OK Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, Cawston, Keremeos, Hedley and Princeton.
Our Vision is to build a community that is aware and responsive to issues of violence and abuse.
Our Mission is to serve and empower individuals who have experienced abuse.
SOVAS offers free and confidential resources and programs.
SOVAS offers three core programs: the Men’s and Women’s Counselling Programs, the Community Based Victim Assistance Program, and the Violence Prevention Outreach Program.
In working with individuals who have experienced abuse, we strive to create an environment for growth based on respect, empowerment, choice and collaboration. This challenges violence and oppression and promotes individual and community wellness.
- Individuals are not responsible for the violence they experience.
- Individuals who have experienced abuse have a right to support services.
- Family and sexual violence are crimes. We advocate for a strong and creative community and justice system response that addresses the unique needs of individuals.
- Violence affects the community as a whole. It is an individual and community responsibility to recognize and respond to violence.
- Initiatives to address violence must continually examine and challenge society’s historical tolerance of power imbalances that perpetuate oppression.
- Every individual is deserving of dignity, respect, inclusion, empowerment and choice.
- Every individual is the expert in their own life and possesses an inherent potential for change, growth, self-fulfillment and wellness, as defined by them.